HELPER CHEFS

Saturday, November 28, 2009

Apple Pie

Apple Pie

Dan loves this apple pie. If I am not mistaken, so did his Mom a few years back when I made one to bring to their house. I make it with Granny Smith Apples which make it just a tinch tart. I got this out of my Betty Crocker. And then of course I always change a lil of it. :) A slice of this pie, a lil warm, with a small scoop of ice cream, is absolute deliciousness:) I also forgot to take a picture:( ...maybe next time:)

PASTRY INGREDIENTS
2-crust pie (top and bottom) (9-inch)

- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt (I used just a pinch)
- 1/3 cup butter (I used probably 1 TB more)
- 1/3 cup butter flavored Crisco
- 4-6 TB cold water

In med bowl mix flour and salt. Cut in the butter and Crisco with pastry cutter or by pulling 2 butter knives through ingredients in opposite directions. Cut in butter and Crisco until all particles are about he size of small peas.

Sprinkle with cold water, 1 TB at a time tossing and stirring with a fork until all flour is moistened and pastry almost leaves side of bowl. 1-2 tsp of water can be added if necessary....but I found I only used 5 TB anyway.

Gather pastry in 2 different ball shapes. Flatten balls into discs and wrap in plastic. Pop in fridge for about 45 minutes or until dough is cold yet pliable. This helps the pastry become flaky. If in the fridge longer, let the pastry soften slightly b4 rolling out.

(AT THIS TIME, WHILE CRUST IS IN FRIDGE, PREPARE APPLE FILLING)

Roll pastry one disc at a time on lightly floured surface into circles 2 inches larger than the upside down pie pan. Lay one sheet of rolled out pastry in tot he bottom of the pie pan. Do NOT stretch it, lay it in the pan so it is touching every part of the sides and bottom. The second pastry will be laid over the pie after you fill it.


PIE FILLING INGREDIENTS
6 cups of thinly sliced peeled tart apples. (I used about 7 1/2 cups)
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon (I used about 1 heaping teaspoon)
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg (full tsp)
dash of salt (I omitted)
2 TB firm butter or margarine if desired (YES! I desired!...lol I used butter)

- Peel, slice and cut up apples. Put in bowl and set aside.
- Heat oven to 425 degrees
- Roll out crusts. I line the pie pan with the bottom crust, and then fold the top one, put it inside the pie pan on top the bottom crust and put it back in the fridge covered to keep cool.
- In a large bowl, mix sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Stir in apples.
- Take the pie pan with crust back out of fridge. Set aside the top crust. Spoon the apple mixture into the crust lined pie pan.
-Cut butter into small pieces and sprinkle it over the apple filled pie.
- Cover the pie with the top pie crust. Seal the edges (pinch), and flute it. (My Mom always cut a smiley face in it, or our brand.) Trim edges of crust.
- Another trick I learned from my Mom was to smear a little heavy cream on top the pie crust and then sprinkle it with cinnamon and sugar.
-Now cover the edge crust of the pie with tin foil to prevent burning.
-Pop the pie in the oven for 30 minutes. Then remove tin foil from edges and bake for another 15-20 minutes. Or until the crust is golden brown and juice begins to bubble through slits in crust.
-Cool on wire rack at least 2 hrs ( I only waited about 1 hr or so till it was set up)
-Enjoy with a small scoop of ice cream, or even coffee in the morning:)

3 comments:

  1. Or she would carve Tom's initials in it. Can you say favorite? lol jk mom :o).

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was only the CHERRY pie.

    ReplyDelete