HELPER CHEFS

Sunday, September 20, 2009

Gingered Autumn Soup

Gingered Autumn Soup



Gingered Autumn Soup

This is a delicious, creamy, rich, tasting soup. But NO cream, butter, or even milk! This doesn't take too long to make either. You can put any twist you would like on this soup. My twist was ginger.....but I was also thinking of a dollop of peanut butter, or crushed peanuts or pecans.....
Dan doesn't like ginger, but I know enough of you that do so I tried this out. If you like ginger and the feeling of a warm cozy autumn feeling soup, you will love this:)
I am not sure how much puree a butternut squash makes, or how big a can of it is (if even sold)....I used organic baby food from work which is strictly butternut squash, and water. :) So depending on the amount of puree you use, you may need to adjust the other ingredient portions too. Also feel free to adjust the amount of chicken broth used to alter the thickness of the soup to your liking:) Enjoy! This is tasty!

Not sure what you all do with your fresh ginger, but I always found I had great intentions when I bought it, and then it shriveled up and went bad in the fridge. Well....I have a solution!!! Yippee! I peeled the whole chunk of it with a potato peeler, (yes Jenna I said chunk:)), and put it in a Ziploc in the freezer. When I need it, I take it out, grate it with the cheese grater and quickly put it back in the freezer. It grates easier when frozen, and lasts alot longer too! MARVELOUS!!!!!!!!!! LOVE IT!

1 1/4 TB green onion chopped (green and white parts.)
1 1/2 TB smashed and chopped garlic (about 3 big cloves)
2 1/4 tsp packed fresh grated ginger
2 cups of sodium reduced chicken broth
about 20-24 oz. butternut squash puree (either make your own or get canned....I had butternut squash organic baby food from work so I used 6 containers of about 3.5 oz each.)
2 slices of bacon
Salt and pepper
Parsley and sour cream optional.

-Cook bacon in soup pot.
-Remove,and set aside, leaving the drippings in the pot.
-In bacon drippings over med - med/high heat, saute onion. After a minute, add garlic, after another minute add ginger. Don't over cook or burn these items when sauteing.
-To the onion, garlic, and ginger, add chicken broth.
-Stir so there is nothing sticking to the bottom of the pan.
-Add the butternut squash puree and stir.
-Bring mixture to a simmer. (While this is happening, crumble bacon into bits)
-Simmer very softly for 5 minutes stirring frequently.
-Add salt and pepper to taste.
-Serve hot in bowls with a small dollop of sour cream, sprinkle of fresh cut parsley, and a few of the crumbled bacon bits.

The sour cream I found to be unnecessary. The soup was so good without it, but the sour cream made the pic nicer.:)
Great reheated too so it could definitely be made ahead of time and stored in fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment