HELPER CHEFS

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Creamy Chicken Enchiladas From Becky

Creamy Chicken Enchiladas

This is a recipe I got from Dan's Sister Becky. She used to make this once in a while when I lived with them. It's very tastey:) Thanks Becky!

Creamy Chicken Enchiladas

1can (10.75 oz) condensed cream of chicken soup (I use 98% fat free)
8 ounces sour cream (light or fat-free works great)
1 cup Pace Picante sauce (I use mild because of Josh, but whatever works)
2 tsp chili powder
2 cups chopped, cooked chicken (~1 lb boneless chx breast)
1 cup shredded monteray jack cheese (I usually use more)
10 fajita size flour tortillas, warmed
1 med. tomato, chopped
1 green onion, sliced
some sliced black olives

Mix soup, sour cream, picante sauce, and chili powder in medium bowl.
Mix one cup of this sauce mixture with the chicken and cheese.
Spread about 1/4 cup of the chicken mixture down the center of each tortilla.
Roll up and place seam-side down in a 3 qt shallow baking dish.
Pour remaining sauce mixture over enchiladas.
Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until hot (I usually have to cook longer in my oven).
I sometimes sprinkle some cheese on top and then broil for a few minutes uncovered to melt and crisp up a little bit.
Top with tomato, onion, and black olive. Probably would be good topped w/ sour cream, too! I serve this with the spanish rice. There are always plenty of leftovers which are good the next day, too. This can also be made ahead of time and refrigerated overnight, just increase the baking time about 15 to 20 minutes.

Spanish Rice:
1 TBS vegetable oil
1 cup uncooked white rice (not instant)
1 can (10.5 oz) condensed chicken broth
1 cup water
1/2 cup pace picante sauce
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 med tomato, chopped (I have used 1 can diced tomato, drained also)
1 cup frozen peas

Heat oil in large skillet.
Add rice and cook until browned, stirring frequently.
Stir in broth, water, picante, cumin, and garlic powder.
Heat to boil.
Reduce heat, cover and simmer over low heat about 15-20 minutes.
Add tomato and peas and cook another 5-10 minutes or until rice is done. (It seems like I cook this much longer than this...maybe things just take longer in Montana!) This isn't very spicy, but I am sure you could add a few things to change that!!

No comments:

Post a Comment