HELPER CHEFS

Thursday, May 21, 2009

Easter Macaroni By Nan

Easter Macaroni : By Nan

This has no picture yet because I haven't made it myself. Nan emailed me a few recipes that I am sure you all would LOVE to have. She checked out the food blog a while back, and sent these my way! Some of our favorites!' I just cut and paste her words from my email:)

Eater Macaroni : By Nan


I am giving you my favorite recipe of all time: I believe your Mom used to make this for you kids at Easter and if I remember correctly, you loved it..

Easter Macaroni.

To make the homemade noodles, for a 7 cup casserole:
3 cups flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
water to stick it all together . Kneed and Let it rest for a half hour or so under cover (the bowl that you mixed it in)

Next flour your rolling surface, take a lump of this dough and roll it as thin as you can. If you can get it to 1/3 to 1/4 inch thick, this is perfect. Now flour this rolled out dough, roll it up loosely like a jelly roll and cut it in thin strips. Kinda shake them apart and if sticky, dust with more flour. While you are rolling and cutting, get a huge pot of salted water boiling. Throw in the macaroni noodles, bring to a boil, watch and stir so it doesn't boil over and make a mess. When it reaches the 'dente' stage, (just a few minutes) rinse under cool water. Add a tbsp spoon or a dollup of cooking oil to your boiling water, keeps the noodles from sticking together.

Now, beat 3 or 4 eggs, some milk, if you want it rich, add cream, sugar and nutmeg to meet your taste and raisins. Pour this over the noodles into a greased baking dish, this milk custard should cover your noodles, with just the odd one sticking thru the milk-egg mix. Bake in a slow oven at about 300 degrees, will take at least 1 1/2 hr. or till a knife inserted comes out clean. We always ate this cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment