HELPER CHEFS

Monday, April 6, 2009

Soft-n-Chewy Easter Egg Cookies

Soft-n-Chewy Easter Egg Cookies




Soft-n-Chewy Easter Egg Cookies
Due to my "thriftiness" and also the fact I just moved, I found my self using a wine bottle for a rolling pin, and an empty paper towel roll for a cookie cutter....lol....but it worked! :)

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup white sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup sugar for decoration
3/4 cup butter

- In a medium bowl combine the flour and salt with a wire whisk.

-In a large mixing bowl cream the butter and sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed.

-Add the egg and vanilla, and beat until well blended. Scrape down sides of bowl.

-Add the flour mixture. Blend with wooden spoon until combined. Do not over mix.
-Gather dough into a ball.

-Flatten the ball into a disk and wrap tightly in plastic wrap or a plastic bag.

-Refrigerate one hour until firm.

-Pre-heat Oven to 325 degrees F

-On surface dusted with half n half mixture of flour and sugar, roll out dough to a 1/4 inch thickness.

-With cookie cutters, cut dough into desired shapes and place on ungreased cookie sheets.
At this time, if you are NOT using frosting later on, decorate cookies with colored sugars or sprinkles. If using frosting later, don't sugar em now.

- Bake for 13-15 minutes, being careful not to brown. (I tended to roll them thinner sometimes, shortening the time to 9 minutes. So check OFTEN!)

- Remove from oven at the FIRST sight of color on the edges.

-Immediately transfer cookies with a spatula to a cool, flat surface.



Frosting-
2 1/3 cups powdered sugar

2 oz cream cheese

1/4 cup margarine

-With hand mixer blend last two ingredients well

- slowly mix in powdered sugar

I left frosting white so I could put colored sugar on it.

But if you are not using colored sugar, you could color the frosting instead.

On some cookies I spread frosting with a butter knife, and then put colored sugar on, and others I put the frosting in the corner of a Ziploc snack bag with a lil hole to decorate in more detail.....

Now that I'm finished, I think I would have glazed the cookies white, b4 frosting in detail....then they would look like real eggs:)

(Color 1/8-1/4 cup sugar with 2 or 3 drops of food coloring, then smoosh with fork to blend color.)

Store cookies in Ziploc bag. For the pan of crispier ones that I left in the oven a minute too long, I just put a torn op piece of bread in the bag too. This will make them soft again. I stored the cookies on a paper towel in the bag and hide the bread under the paper towel.....hehe...so tricky:)

No comments:

Post a Comment