HELPER CHEFS

Monday, April 6, 2009

Pizza

Pizza




Pizza

Makes enough dough for three 14-15 inch pizzas
2 1/2 teaspoons yeast or 1 small cake fresh yeast
1/4 cup warm water
about 5 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 cups plus 1 tablespoon water, room temp
1 tbl olive oil, plus additional for shaping dough
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon lard or olive oil
-Stir yeast into warm water-set aside-let stand for 10 min.
-Mix flour and salt in large wide mouthed bowl. Make a well in the center of flour and pour yeast mixture, 1 3/4 cup plus 1 tbl water, 1 tbl olive oil, and the lard(or olive oil) into the well.
-Stir with wooden spoon till mixture forms a ball.
-Take out of bowl and knead 10-15 minutes on floured surface.....till smooth and elastic.......sprinkle with flour occasionally if needed.
-Slam the dough down from time to time to develop the gluten.
-Wrap tightly in sack and leave overnight in fridge.
-Next morning take out of fridge and place ball of dough in oiled bowl. Cover with towel and set inside oven 7-8 hours.
- Take out and punch lightly down. Cut into three equal pieces and form 3 balls. Each ball is a pizza crust.
-Working with one ball at a time, slap on top a few times to form a round disc.
-Place disc in center of prepared pizza pan.
-I prepare my pizza pan with a light rubdown of olive oil, and a sprinkle of cornmeal.
-With disc in middle of pizza pan, dimple it vigorously, stretching the dough to a 14-15 inch circle. Dimple it till the crust is 1/8 inch thick, leaving the edges thicker. The edges will start to curl a lil. (See Pic)
The dough can stand covered for 30-1 hr b4 it gets the toppings and bakes. Temp of a dough is supposed to be78 degrees for 12 min b4 it can go in the oven.....but I wasn't that picky.....I gave it the time to sit that it took me to cut the veggies n such.
- Preheat the oven to 500 degrees, and start choppin the veggies you want.
-I put on red peppers, green peppers, onions, cheese, pepperoni, fresh mushrooms, and pepper.
-I lightly spread on a lil spaghetti sauce, then a light light sprinkle of cheese.
-Then all veggies
-Baked for 20 minutes at 500 (see pic)
-Put on desired amount of mozzarella, and pepperoni
-Basted the edges of crust in olive oil, parsley, and garlic powder.
-Popped back in oven for 5 more minutes.
Took out of oven and let it sit for a few minutes.
Slide it onto cutting board

slice it up n chow down!

I think next time I will dimple even harder and measure to be sure I have it to 1/8 inch. The under crust was fab nice and a tiny bit crisp. But it was 1/4 inch thick and the edges were just a tiny bit to crispy for me. I think if I was sure to make the under crust 1/8 thick, the edges would be perfect.....about like they are in the pics b4 the cheese n pepperoni went on. I was impressed with this pizza! It reminded me of Digorno

.

No comments:

Post a Comment