HELPER CHEFS

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Jambalaya

Jambalaya


Jambalaya


I got this recipe out of a Sheila Gerguson's cookbook called Soul Food Classic Cuisine From The Deep South. I've had this book for a few years, but just now opened it when looking for yet again, one more recipe to use leftover ham in.... This is the first recipe I've tried and I am impressed....Have a feeling I'll be comin' back for more:) I ALMOST followed all directions. I will put in bold what I did differently.....which isn't much


2 tbl vegetable oil (1tsp oil and 3 chucks of ham fat cooked alone in pan for a while.)

1 1/2 c diced cooked ham

1 cup chopped onion

3/4 c finely diced celery

1 green pepper, seeded and julienned (1/2 of a large red bell pepper julienned)

1 clove garlic, minced (large)

3/4 c uncooked rice (basmati)

2 cups tomato sauce, home-made or canned (such as sauce for pasta)(1-15 oz can Hunts Tomato Sauce)

1 c chopped cooked chicken

1 1/2 c fresh chicken stock (Swanson Chicken Broth)

1 bay leaf (2 medium leaves)

2 tbl minced fresh parsley (only had 1 tbl fresh so added another 1tsp dried.)

1/4 tsp dried thyme

1/4 tsp Worcestershire sauce

1/8 tsp cayenne pepper


Heat oil (oil and ham fat) in large skillet over med heat and cook ham, onion, celery, green (red)pepper, and garlic until the onion is soft but not brown, 5 min. or so.

Stir in the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Lower the heat, cover, and simmer for about 30 min, stirring once or twice.(I set my oven timer for 30 and the microwave for every 10 min so I would remember to check and stir......after 20 min it needed a touch more broth, and after 25 min the food was ready. Your rice, stove top, ect may vary) Be sure your rice is well cooked before serving.


I was hesitate that this would just taste like tomato sauce......but it wasn't bland at all! It was great!


2 comments:

  1. I bet ol' Sheila would be proud. If she is a real cook and not writing for a cookbook, I'll bet she uses ham fat too. Good one Kaela.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yeah, I am sitting here with the cake recipe and can't remember how to get in here. message me please.

    ReplyDelete