This is a large recipe! But I just froze the stuffing for next time:)
Fresh mushrooms, approximately 35−40
1/4 cup celery, finely chopped
2 tablespoons purple onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons red bell pepper, finely chopped
1/2 pound crab meat. Imitation is cheapest and not too shabby.
2 cups bread crumbs or cracker crumbs.
1/2 cup shredded cheese - which ever kind you have. I had mexican blend.
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon black pepper, ground
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup water
2 big round provolone cheese slices cut in 4's. Or which ever you have that you think you will like
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2) Saute celery, onion, and pepper in butter for 2 minutes, transfer to a
plate and cool in the refrigerator
3) While vegetables cool, wash mushrooms and remove stems
4) Set caps to the side and finely chop half of the stems. Use the
other half of the stems in a different recipe.
5) Combine the sauteed vegetables, chopped mushroom stems, and all
other ingredients (except cheese slices) and mix well
6) Place mushroom caps in individual buttered casseroles or baking
dishes (about 6 caps each)
7) Spoon some stuffing into each mushroom. I like to over flow it. Press down with an upside down spoon and make a firm dome. (PICTURE #3)
8) Cover with sliced cheese
9) Bake in oven for 12−15 minutes or until cheese is lightly browned.